Sunday, January 4, 2009

Impending Doom

Well, It has come down to this, and Granny's life seems to be coming to an end. This morning she was down in her stall, from what we know- over 5 hours before we were called and made it to the barn to help her. By this time She was weak and was not helping her already injured hock!

We were able to get her up and I gave her an extra dose of bute. Once up, she was just fine, began eating, went to the bathroom, etc.

But it does bring up what we will do when the time comes to say goodbye. A very sad decision will eventually need to be made. I am taking the chicken way out and will let Granny let me know when she has enough.

For right now, she is still as sassy and fun loving pony as she was when we bought her in 2000 as a 20 yr old mare for my sister. And yes, she is SUPER annoyed when she lays down and can't get back up- and that is what keeps me from having to call the vet and have her euthanized.

I will post pictures up soon of our beloved "Granny".

No comments: